Dr Mark Wotherspoon
MBBS Dip SEM FFSEM (UK)
Dr Wotherspoon is a Consultant in Sport, Exercise & Musculoskeletal Medicine with a specialist interest in chronic groin pain, underperformance syndrome and tendon injuries.
Dr Wotherspoon qualified from St George's Hospital in 1985. Having worked in Orthopaedics, Rheumatology and A&E, he completed his GP vocational training in 1991. He was a Principal in General Practice till 2010. He completed his diploma in Sport and Exercise Medicine in 1992 and has worked in Sport and Exercise Medicine since then.
Dr Wotherspoon is a founding fellow of the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine and has extensive Team Doctor experience. He was the club doctor at Fulham FC for eight years from1992 to 2000, at London Irish RFC for two years from 2002 to 2004 and is currently the Lead Medical Officer at Southampton FC. He was also Chief Medical Officer for England and Great Britain hockey for seven years and attended 2 Commonwealth Games and 1 Olympic game in this role. He has been a Medical Officer for England Cricket Team since 2007. He worked at the English Institute of Sport, based at Bisham Abbey from its origins till 2013 and in this capacity has attended The World Student Games in 1997, European Cups and World Championships across a wide variety of Olympic Sports including hockey, rowing, canoeing and speed skating.
- SEM clinic founder and Consultant in Sport, Exercise & Musculoskeletal Medicine at The Hampshire Clinic
- SEM clinic founder and Consultant in Sport, Exercise & Musculoskeletal Medicine at The Wessex Nuffield Hospital, Southampton
- Consultant in Sport, Exercise & Musculoskeletal Medicine at Wimbledon Clinics, Parkside Hospital, Wimbledon
Consultant in Sport, Exercise & Musculoskeletal Medicine for Bupa Wellness, Reading
- Medical Lead Southampton Football Club
- Medical Officer for England Cricket
- Medical Officer for the Ladies European Golf Tour
- Hon Consultant in SEM at the North Hampshire Hospital, Basingstoke
- Regional Representative (Wessex) for Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine
Publications, lectures and teaching:
- Article in BJSM (the journal of Sport and Exercise Medicine) April 2013 Volume 47 Issue 6
- Pg 380 Radiofrequency denervation of the inguinal ligament for the treatment of 'Sportsman's Hernia': a pilot study
- Regular lectures nationally
- Regular CPD presentations at The Hampshire Clinic, Wimbledon Clinics, Sarum Road, Wessex Nuffield and Circle Reading hospitals
Society Memberships and awards:
- Member of the British Olympic Medical Committee 1993-2010
- Doping Control Officer for UK Sport 1992-1997
- 2012 Sport & Exercise Team of the Year – ECB Sports Medicine/Sports Science Team, British Medical Journal Improving Health Award